Monday, February 13, 2012

Perhaps don't gamble with "bastard" seedlings




If you pay your $4 for six seedlings and treat them well, you'll get something.

Every year I gamble. A close family member raised some seedlings from a tomato they had and gave me some. Reluctantly I put a heap of them in, alongside a "mighty red" that I bought.


In a pot, one of these plants of questionable origin is looking promising. Actually I planted three seedlings and forced them with potash and protected them with all sorts of methods. The othe five plants out in the garden - lots of green, no fruit, diseased.


And then the one mighty red that I planted has given me 2kg so far, with another 2kg sitting on there, green.


So when we choose to gamble to save $4 by using volunteer seedlings it often takes a whole growing season to determine if it will pay off. And even with my one minor win this year, it didn't.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment