Sunday, July 3, 2011

How to plant the bearded iris

It's not that big a deal. Loosely place the tuber in the ground with the green bit facing upwards.


Put a little soil over the roots. Someone has told me to leave some of the tuber exposed to sunlight. Makes sense.
I also think that you could pull that long tuber (with _no_ green on it) off of the main rooting one, and lay that on the ground partly exposed. I think that'd give you green shoots.
I'll find out this season.
It's hard to go wrong with them. I've laid a whole set of tubers (green up / green down) in a shallow six inch trench with some soil sprinkled over them. They still came back to hive me 120 sprouting tubers this year. Plant them and you'll be splitting and giving them away for years.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment