Saturday, May 28, 2011

Fun and games with a Golden Elm

I'll call Malcolm Campbell tomorrow about this and also post a question to his blog, because this one has confused me a little.

After disturbing the roots of the golden elm (rear) it suckered. That is not a problem, I quite like the idea of getting a tree in that forward spot. But look at the leaves - green and not gold. Now that is strange, it hints to me that the elm I bought 20 years ago has a golden grafted top wood. I can't see a graft there now, but it's a 20 year old trunk.

So my question to Malcolm will be: "are golden elms normally sold as grafted trees?"

After a bit of a chat  it was a simple answer - yes, Golden Elms are grafted. So next season I will insert a half a dozen or so buds into the green wood that has suckered. Should be fun.

Posted from Blogium for iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment